Duo Ventures

Friday, July 1, 2016

White Chocolate Berry Trifle

With the 4th of July right around the corner, I thought it would be the perfect time to share my red, white, & blue trifle recipe!  I've been making this since 2014, when I first made it for my youngest brothers's graduation:
I've tried out several trifle recipes on Pinterest, but in the end I wound up making my own version.  What's great about this trifle is that you can use the basic outline & switch up the type of cake, pudding flavor, & fruit to create any combo you want.  Any variation of this trifle is delicious - it just depends on what YOU like!

I think it's also worth mentioning that you will probably still love this dessert, even if you're not a fan of white chocolate itself.  I have made this dessert with both regular vanilla and white chocolate instant pudding mixes, & I've had several people tell me they prefer the version made with the white chocolate pudding - so I've been sticking with that lately.  Cheesecake pudding mix would be good too though!

Ingredients:
-2 cups (1 pint) of heavy whipping cream
-two 12 oz pound cakes (I can usually find them @ Publix, Target, or Walmart)
-1 cup cold milk
-two 3.3 oz white chocolate instant pudding mixes
-14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (refrigerated)
-2 lbs strawberries (I usually use about a box & a half)
-12 oz raspberries
-1 pint blueberries (I usually use about 1.5 cups)

I used an 8" trifle dish for this recipe.

*A note about the fruit:
Typically, I don't end up using all the fruit.  Just use your judgement when layering the trifle, as to not overfill it.

*A note about the pudding mix:
The recipe for the cream mixture calls for one 5.1 oz box of instant pudding mix, but the only flavor I can seem to find in that size is the 'vanilla' & 'chocolate'.  The 'white chocolate' flavor only comes in the smaller 3.3 oz boxes.  To make due, I always end up buying two of the smaller 3.3 oz boxes & measuring out what I need.



1.  Rinse strawberries, blueberries, & raspberries thoroughly & strain:


2.  Next, hull & slice the strawberries:

Typically, I have about 1/2 of a box of strawberries leftover that I don't end up using - it doesn't hurt to have some extra, since there are usually always some rotten ones in the bunch:

3.  In a medium bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream using an electric mixer until firm peaks form.  Cover & refrigerate until ready to use:

4.  Measure out the pudding mix.  Remember, two of the 3.3 oz boxes total 6.6 oz, but we only need 5.1 oz.  I use 1 entire box of pudding mix & about 1/2 of the other box.
     

5.  In a large bowl, whisk 1 cup of cold milk with 5.1 oz of instant pudding mix until blended:

6.  Then whisk in the cold can of sweetened condensed milk:

7.  Next, fold in the whipped cream until incorporated:

8.  Cut the cake into small cubes & divide into 3 equal portions:

I use the plastic containers that the cake came in to separate it into the 3 equal amounts:

Now it's assembly time!  It helps to lay everything out in order:

Notice how I mark the top of the cream mixture - this helps to divide it into 3 equal parts to keep your layers as even as possible:

9.  First, add 1/3 of the cubed pound cake (I usually push it down a bit, as this trifle can end up pretty tall):

10.  Second, add 1/3 of the cream mixture.  Just spoon it in & then spread it around with the back of a spoon:

11.  Lastly, add the fruit:



Here's the trifle after the 2nd layer of cake, cream, & berries:

12.  Add the final layer & you're all done!  You have a simple, gorgeous, & delicious dessert!  You could make this the day before, cover, & refrigerate until ready to serve:

You can obviously display the top most layer of fruit however you'd like.  At the time of taking these photos, I haphazardly threw the fruit on top.  I've done it a couple of different ways over the years, but it will usually depend on if I'm in a rush to finish it or not.

Here's a photo of another time I made this trifle - the only difference is that I took a little more time to stand the strawberries up nicely.  I think it looks a little prettier, no?
Let me know if you guys try it out & if you have any feedback.  This is the first time I've ever written out a recipe on the blog, so I hope it was clear enough.

Here's a ***PRINTABLE VERSION*** of the recipe.

Enjoy!

Mel
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment